10 years is a pretty significant milestone in anyone’s book – whether it’s a birthday, an anniversary or as in Worthing Homes’ case, 10 years since it was founded. So instead of simply ‘badging’ 2009 as its 10th anniversary, Worthing Homes is launching a year of special initiatives and events under the banner ‘a celebration of 10!’
We wanted this 10 year anniversary to be special – not only for us and the people who work here, but for our customers, organisations we work with and the community.
Our ‘celebration of 10!’ aims to involve as many members of the community as possible and hopefully some of our initiatives will have a lasting impact on the neighbourhood, which we believe is a fitting way to mark our tenth year. Robin King, chief executive at Worthing Homes
So how many initiatives are they planning?… well 10 of course and they are briefly outlined here.
- Kids to Ethiopia – supporting a ‘kids cross continent’ project where local teenagers embark on a life changing experience and travel to a special needs centre in Ethiopia to work with young people there, giving much needed support and care.
- Neighbourhood Buddies – a scheme to raise awareness of the plight of vulnerable people who live alone – promoting an independent living service to support them in their own homes.
- Community Grants – grants of up to £1,000 are available to local groups or individuals with ideas for community projects that will have a lasting impact on the neighbourhood.
- A Fun Day on 10 October for the community with competitions and prizes.
- A celebration of our R+R (Renewal and Regeneration) programme – marked by the opening of our brand new Norfolk Mansions building on Newlands Road.
- Business Buddies – a scheme to promote business mentoring and work placements for young people.
- Low Impact Living – a series of projects focusing on reducing the environmental impact of the way we live and work.
- Carnival Fun – joining in the celebrations of Worthing carnival.
- Ageing Well – Community support and events for older people in partnership with Guild Care.
- Community football – a joint initiative with Brighton and Hove Albion supporting football in the community, coaching schemes and a community football tournament – giving young people the chance to develop their team and leadership skills, as well as providing a free fun day out for families.
Worthing Homes will launch ‘a celebration of 10!’ on the 28 May 2009 at Davison House in Worthing. Guests will include the newly elected Mayor of Worthing, Mick and Chriss Smith, Worthing‟s very own News of the World’s Community Champions, customers, community representatives and the press.