Stay safe

Every year thousands of people across the UK are diagnosed with carbon monoxide (CO) poisoning, which can be caused by unsafe central heating systems, gas cookers or gas fires.

Gas Safety Week which takes place from 10-16 September 2012 aims to raise awareness of gas safety and the importance of taking care of your gas appliances.

Badly fitted and poorly serviced appliances can cause gas leaks, fires, explosions as well as carbon monoxide poisoning. Using an illegal gas fitter can put lives at risk, only a Gas Safe registered engineer should carry out gas work.

Follow these tips to keep you and your family safe:

  • make sure gas appliances have a regular service and a gas safety check every 12 months;
  • install an audible carbon monoxide alarm;
  • look out for warning signs that your gas appliances aren’t working correctly eg. lazy yellow or orange flames instead of crisp blue ones, black marks on or around the appliance and too much condensation in the room;
  • make sure only a Gas Safe registered engineer works on your gas appliances – illegal gas fitters can put your life at risk – always check the engineer’s Gas Safe Register ID card.

For more information on gas safety, please take a look at the gas safety consumer fact sheets on the Gas Safe Register website.