Buying your own home can sometimes feel like an impossible task. If you cannot afford to buy a home outright on the open market Shared Ownership could provide you with that first foot on the ladder.
Shared Ownership has already helped hundreds of people across Sussex and although it was traditionally designed for first time buyers, many low income families and people suffering relationship breakdowns have been able to take advantage of the scheme.
Buying a home on the open market usually means that you need a large deposit to get you started. With a shared ownership you are able to use a much smaller deposit. Occasionally referred to as “Part Buy, Part Rent” you can buy a share in your new home (Usually a minimum of 35%) You then pay a mortgage on the share you are buying and subsidised rent back to the housing association on the part you don’t own. You will have the benefit of the investment on the percentage that you own, as well as access to further shares as you can afford it.
If you wish to apply for a property with us, you must first check your eligibility using the Government’s shared ownership application website, have access to a deposit for a mortgage and have a mortgage agreement in principle .
The criteria for shared ownership homes is as follows and must be met:
- Applicants must have a valid UK passport
- A local connection to the Local Authority area in which you are buying a property
- Have checked eligibility through the Governments shared ownership application website
- No CCJ’s or arrears of rent / mortgage in the six months prior to application.
- Applicants should not be in a position to afford the cost of purchasing a comparable home outright on the open property market.
- First Time Buyers/applicants with no interest in a property except for:
- Those selling a home through relationship breakdown*
- Those whose current home is not suitable for their needs (eg size)*
- Those who are moving to an area where property prices are higher to take up employment/look after a family member or be looked after by a family member.
- Must provide own credit report and mortgage agreement in principle via an independent financial advisor
- Minimum £18k and max £80k income levels
*please note your existing property must have a buyer in place
PRIORITY IS GIVEN TO:
- Ministry of Defence Personnel
Take a look below for the homes we have available, and please note viewings are by appointment only!