If you have any gas appliances in your home it is important you are aware that there are risks associated with these, such as poor gas fittings, blocked chimneys/flues, appliances not burning the gas properly or not shutting off properly if a fault occurs.
You should never:
- Use a gas appliance if you think it is not working properly.
- Cover an appliance or block the air vents.
- Block or obstruct any fixed ventilation grilles or airbricks.
- Block or cover outside flues.
Remember at any time if you smell gas or suspect carbon monoxide poisoning call National Grid free on 0800 111 999.
To ensure your gas appliances are safe and fit to use we carry out yearly safety checks in your home.
Checks can include:
- Making sure products of combustion (fumes) are being safely removed outside via the flue or chimney
- Ensuring an appliance is burning the gas properly, and that there’s an adequate supply of fresh air for it to do so
- Making sure all safety devices are working properly
- Shutting off an appliance if a fault is found
When BSW (our Gas Safe registered engineers) visit your home to carry out a safety check, it’s important that you let them do so.
What is carbon monoxide (CO)?
When any fuel is burned a small amount of carbon monoxide (CO) is produced. CO is a poisonous gas but it is normally generated in such small quantities that it does not pose a risk to health.
The potential for CO to be produced in harmful quantities is increased significantly if the appliance that uses the fuel is not maintained regularly. Sources can include cookers, heaters, gas tumble dryers, hot-water heaters and fireplaces.
Danger signs to look out for include yellow or orange flames (except for fuel effect fires, which display this colour flame), soot or stains around the appliance and pilot lights that frequently blow out.
If you do not have a CO detector at your property please contact BSW ( our gas contractor) and they will make arrangements for one to be installed. During the annual service our contractors will test the smoke detectors and carbon monoxide detectors that are in the property, this is another good reason for allowing access for the gas service.
You can’t see, taste or smell carbon monoxide, but it can kill you. The symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning include:
- chest pains
- stomach pains.
These symptoms are similar to many common ailments and may easily be confused with flu or simple tiredness.
If you suspect that you or someone else is suffering from the effects of carbon monoxide you should immediately switch off any fuel burning appliances and seek urgent medical help.
What should I do if I suspect a carbon monoxide leak?
- Open all doors and windows straight away.
- Shut off the gas supply at the mains (it is a large lever usually next to the gas meter).
- Call the National Gas Emergency Service: 0800 111 999.
- Contact our Gas Contractor to liaise with them for a safety inspection to take place and, if necessary carry out any repairs.
- If you or your family have any of the above symptoms and you think carbon monoxide may be involved, seek urgent medical advice.