Your home

Gas safety checks

Have we carried out a gas safety check in your home in the past year? If not contact us NOW to book a safety check, you could be at risk!

You can’t see it. You can’t taste it. You can’t even smell it. But carbon monoxide can kill without warning in just a matter of hours. You are particularly vulnerable when you are asleep.

The early symptoms of poisoning include tiredness, drowsiness, headache, pains in the chest and stomach pains.

Every year around 40 people die and 200 people suffer from carbon monoxide poisoning as a result of faulty gas fires, central heating boilers, cookers and other gas appliances. When gas doesn’t burn properly, excess carbon monoxide is produced, which is poisonous.

Our obligations

By law, Worthing Homes is responsible for ensuring that gas appliances and flues are maintained in a safe condition. This is why we carry out annual safety checks.

Your obligations

A condition of your tenancy agreement is that you must allow access for our annual gas servicing and other statutory checks as required. If you don’t allow access, it may result in legal action being taken against you, for which you could be liable for the costs involved.

If you smell gas:

  • do not turn electric switches on or off;
  • do not smoke;
  • do not use any naked flames;
  • do not use a mobile phone;
  • turn off gas at the meter;
  • open doors and windows;
  • contact the National Grid emergency gas service (telephone number below).
National Grid National Grid National Grid is an international electricity and gas company and one of the largest investor-owned energy companies in the world.
Website: Visit the National Grid website Telephone: 0800 111 999